Serves: 6 Prep: 12 mins Cook: 3-4 hours Pair: Special Release Montepulciano
4 x Lamb shanks 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes 4 cloves garlic ½ red onion
1 carrot 4 anchovies 1 orange – juiced & zested 2 sprigs rosemary 70g tomato paste 150ml Montepulciano or any dry red wine Olive oil Salt
Gnocchi 100g crème fraiche Handful mint leaves
1.Season and sear the lamb shanks in a hot pan – approx. 6-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Sweat the red onion, carrot and garlic for 2 minutes in same pan
3. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 30 seconds
4. Add rosemary, tinned tomatoes, chopped anchovies, orange juice, zest, red wine & salt and bring to a simmer
5. Place shanks in a casserole dish and pour sauce over the top
6. Add baking paper and tightly cover it in tinfoil – cook @ 160c for 3-4 hours
7. Blend the crème fraiche & mint together and store in the fridge until ready
8. Once the lamb is tender then shred from the bone and discard the bones
9.Serve with pasta of choice, we love to serve it with gnocchi
10. Pour yourself a big glass of Montepulciano and live like Italian royalty!
Wines that would also pair perfectly with this recipe include:
Mike was still in school when in 1991, his father Joss and grandfather Charlie planted these Shiraz vines on their Lovedale Road (LDR) property. Planted on clay loam over friable red clay, this soil produces exceptionally bold and well-built Shiraz.
An elegant Hunter Shiraz (80%), with the addition of a small amount of Touriga (20%).
Merlot was one of the first varieties we planted on our Lovedale Road (LDR) vineyard in the early 90’s.
We were the first to plant Touriga Nacional on the Lovedale Road family vineyard in 2010. Touriga thrives in hot, dry conditions so we only make during great vintages.
Sign up below to hear the latest from De Iuliis first.