Tomato, Olive & Buffalo Mozzarella Pizza
Pizza, just like sangiovese, is one of Italy’s greatest gifts to the world. I recently bought a Gozney Dome so wood-fired pizza in the backyard has been a real hit with the family.
2 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups bread & pizza plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp EVOO
1 cup tomato paste
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup pitted green olives
125g buffalo mozarella, sliced
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup basil
1. Combine the yeast, sugar & warm water in a small jug. Stand for 10 mins or until mixture is frothy
2. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Mix until a dough comes together.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, adding more flour if necessary, for 5-7 mins or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, oiled bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Punch down dough. Knead for 20 seconds or until smooth. Cut in half and roll out to form two pizza bases. Place on a greased baking tray or a dusted pizza tray.
4. Preheat oven to 240°C. If you are using the Gozney preheat to 450°C and you’ll only need 2 minutes to cook it.
5. Spread the tomato paste on the pizza bases. Top each with cherry tomatoes, green olives and buffalo mozarella. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the grated mozzarella is melted and the base is crisp. Sprinkle torn basil on top.
7. Serve with a rocket & parmesan salad and a glass (or bottle) of our 2021 Sangiovese!
8. Feel free to share your creation with us. Tag us on Instagram or Facebook @deiuliiswine.